Certificate in Fundraising
Want to consolidate your skills and develop as a fundraising professional? The Certificate in Fundraising gives a solid grounding in the theoretical concepts and principles behind fundraising. It examines the role of fundraising within the sector and the role it plays in society.
Who is this qualification for?
This qualification is designed for practitioners responsible for the frontline implementation of fundraising activities. As a guide you should have a minimum of one to three years fundraising experience either in a paid or voluntary capacity.
What are the benefits to you and your organisation?
You will become a more confident fundraiser and understand how to improve your results. You will learn practical, effective fundraising skills to apply in your current role. These skills will enable you to make a positive immediate impact on your own, and your organisation's fundraising results.
What will you learn?
- The Fundraising Environment unit investigates the scope and role of the sector, the requirements of charitable status, sources and trends in non-profit income, the definition and role of philanthropy, ethics and best practice and the fundraising macro environment
- The Understanding Donor Behaviour unit looks at the history and development of the profession, the demographics of individual donors and forms of giving, gift aid and tax-effective giving, primary and secondary research of donor behaviour, using donor data to plan appropriate supporter journeys and development of a case for support
- The Fundamentals of Fundraising Planning unit examines the benefits of planning, the purposes of fundraising audits, setting objectives, fundraising tactics, monitoring and evaluation, and budgets and phasing income
- The Fundraising in the Community and Volunteer Management unit covers the forms of community support and best practice in relation to each, volunteer recruitment, retention and motivation, events fundraising and event management including logistics, project planning and budgeting, the legal obligations and the establishment of advisory committees
You need to complete a series of four work based and case study assignments. To help you plan your studies the assignment deadlines for each course are provided to you on each course's booking information page within the Events & Training Calendar.
The course is taught either online or via intensive face to face courses (two blocks of two full days) at various locations outside London. As a guide courses usually run during the spring and autumn.
What level of commitment is needed?
Whichever course teaching format you choose you are expected to attend every session and actively engage with your class and tutor. If you fail to attend and/or engage you will disrupt your own learning experience and the shared learning experience of your group.
You are also expected to study in your own time. On average the length of time needed to complete the Certificate in Fundraising is approximately six to nine months.
To ensure you are not placed at a disadvantage when studying for an IoF qualification you should have a good command of written and spoken English to complete assignments to the required standard.
You will need Internet access to enable you to access our online learning platform which provides essential online course materials.
You will need to purchase the course textbook Sargeant, A. and Jay, E. (2014) Fundraising Management: Analysis Planning and Practice (third edition), Routledge, London - it is not included within the course fee.
Booking information, course fees, terms and conditions and course dates
To book your place on a Certificate in Fundraising course visit the Events & Training Calendar.
Course fees*: £1,800 for IoF Individual members, £1,925** for non-members.
* Course fees valid for Certificate in Fundraising offline courses commencing from 1 September 2014 until 31 August 2015.
Course fees include: Tutor costs, access to online course resources via our online learning platform (all students need Internet access throughout their studies) and an A4 hard copy folder with printed course materials. You will need to purchase the course textbook Sargeant, A. and Jay, E. (2014) Fundraising Management: Analysis Planning and Practice (third edition), Routledge, London - it is not included within the course fee.
** If you are not yet an individual IoF member your first year's membership is included with the non-member rate to enable you to access the full range of IoF member benefits during your course. You must hold a valid IoF individual membership while studying for a qualification.
Booking terms and conditions apply for all IoF qualification courses - for details please click here.
Please note if you are a new member you will need to provide a reference to complete your membership application and our Membership team will get in touch with you to arrange this on receipt of your booking. You can visit our membership pages for more information.
What our learners say
Click on an image to watch a short video.
After completing the IoF Certificate in Fundraising you might wish to progress to the Diploma in Fundraising.
For more information please contact our IoF Academy team on 020 7840 1020 or email email@example.com