Frequently Asked Fundraising Questions
Please find your relevant question and click the section it falls under to view the answers.
Are you an IoF member? Login in and join us in the online forums - post your question for discussion with other members, or share documents and resources
- Do I have to be registered with anyone (for example the IoF, Charity Commission) to be able to fundraise?
Telephone Fundraising and the TPS
- What is the Telephone Preference Service? (TPS)
- Can charities call numbers that are on the TPS register?
- What counts as ‘consent’?
- Does consent need to be explicit (opt-in) or can it be implied (opt-out)?
- Does it matter whether the consent has been given before/after the TPS registration?
- Are all types of calls covered by the TPS?
- What are ‘administrative’ calls?
Picking a cause
- Is it possible to raise funds for an individual or cause that isn’t a registered charity?
- Am I able to fundraise for non-UK charities?
- How can I make sure that a charity is genuine?
How is fundraising regulated?
- How is fundraising regulated?
- Are there rules which fundraisers should follow?
- How are complaints about fundraising dealt with?
- How many complaints are there about fundraising?
- What is the Charity Commission’s role in regulating fundraising?
- Are there different rules in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?
- Do charities have to report on the amounts they raise and spend?
Questions on fundraising activities
- Do I need a licence to collect money on the street or to go from door to door?
- Is there a minimum age limit for people to be involved in fundraising and collecting money?
- What information do I need to have on fundraising materials (address, charity number, etc.)
- We want to run a raffle or a lottery – do we need a licence?
- What do I need to know if we’re planning an outdoor event?
- Can we work with professional fundraising agencies in our fundraising, and what are the rules?
- What are solicitation statements?
- We’re thinking about working with a business to develop – do you have information on agreements/contracts?
- What is a commercial participator?
- How do online platforms work and are they safe to use?
- What are the rules for putting on an auction?
- How long can I hold donors information for?
- Do we need to include an opt-out or opt-in in our communications with donors?
- What rules for Data Protection do we need to follow?
Tax effective giving
- What is Gift Aid?
- What donations can I claim Gift Aid on?
- How do I claim Gift Aid?
- What’s the Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme and how does it work?
- How does Payroll Giving work?
- How do I sign up for Payroll Giving?
- What are the tax reliefs for leaving legacy gifts in wills?
- VAT: Top tips for fundraising events
- Is it ok for volunteers to fundraise?
- How much are fundraisers paid?
- Do you recommend targets or minimum amounts that fundraisers should raise?
- Can fundraisers be paid on a commission-only basis?
FAQ guide to improving website performance
Ve Interactive, an IoF Corporate Supporter Member, have produced a guide for charities aiming to improve website performance - download it here