Data protection for fundraisers – Be GDPR ready - London
Date: Wednesday 17th Jan 2018
Time: 10.30 - 16.00
Venue: China Exchange UK
Delivered in partnership with Birketts, this practical and interactive seminar is designed specifically with fundraisers in mind and will address the challenges and opportunities that the implementation of the new GDPR will bring.
Did you know that the current data protection laws are being completely replaced by new laws that come into effect in May 2018? It may seem like a long way off but complying with the new law will require a full review of existing data protection policies and procedures and is likely to mean the introduction of new measures across your organisation. A failure to properly comply with the new law can result in a fine of up to €20 million, so the stakes are high. It has been confirmed that this European legislation will be implemented in the UK, despite Brexit. This practical half day session will focus on the changes introduced by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and look at how these will impact on your fundraising activities. During the session you will be provided with high quality guidance notes and create a compliance step plan identifying the measures that you own organisation should take in the run up to May 2018.
10.30 – 16.00
1. Welcome and introduction
Welcome from the trainer and a brief overview of the session
2. The Warm Up
A short practical exercise to “set the stage” and remind delegates of key data protection concepts and principles under the current law
3. Introducing the GDPR
A 40-minute presentation from the trainer outlining key changes introduced by the new law with explanations and examples of why and how these changes may impact charities
4. Building a Compliance Plan
The trainer will walk the delegates through a series of practical exercises designed to identify the steps that their own organisation should take to prepare for the new law coming into effect in May 2018.
5. Focus on…Fundraising
This part of the session will focus specifically on the application of the GDPR and PECR to fundraising activities. The trainer will provide an overview of the relevant regulations and latest published guidance before leading a group case study giving delegates the chance to look at key questions around consent, profiling, data management and direct marketing in more detail.
6. Concluding Q & As
Delegates will leave the session with:
• An understanding of the key data protection and direct marketing rules and principles and the ability and confidence to recognise and apply these in the course of their day to day activities
• An awareness of the key changes that will come into effect in May 2018 and an appreciation of the practical implications of those changes
• An individually tailored compliance step plan to feed back to the wider management team within their organisation, identifying work to be undertaken and measures to be implemented before May 2018
• Quality course materials including:
i) a copy of Birkett’s guide The General Data Protection Regulation - Complying with the new law, an invaluable source of information and detail to use in implementing the compliance step plan
ii) a copy of the presentation slides and case studies for future reference and review
• Knowledge of where to find further free guidance, resources and updates to assist the organisation in the future.
£79 – IoF Individual members
£99 – non-members
Further details and contact information