Making the Ask (23-Aug-18)
Date: Thursday 23rd Aug 2018
09:15 Registration and coffee
09:30 Course start
17:00 Course finish
Venue: IoF Office
Whether you are new to asking a donor for a gift in a face-to-face situation or your confidence just needs a boost, this course is for you. You will learn how to build rapport, deliver powerful messages about your charity that get people to say ‘yes!’ and leave feeling assured of your skills to handle difficult scenarios or objections.
Who should attend:
If you already are, or need to become, one of the frontline faces of your charity, communicating your case for support and asking for donations professionally and confidently, this course is for you.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Make face-to-face asks confidently
- Build rapport quickly with a prospect
- Use key listening skills to develop strong relationships and be more influential in what you say and how you say it
- Effectively overcome objections when you ask for a gift
- Understand and confidently apply the Code of Fundraising Practise around “the ask”
What’s covered on this course:
- Understanding yourself – the key to authentic confidence, using your nerves, and engaging with others
- Knowledge and understanding of your natural delivery style – how to use that to make presenting more enjoyable
- Preparing the venue – setting the scene for your presentation
- Using language to bring your charity to life and inspire your donors
- Body language - how to look relaxed, confident and honest, reading the audience’s body language, ‘do's and don'ts’ for platform presentations
- Using Q&A sessions to your advantage, and dealing with contra-arguments intelligently
- Thorough preparation – what to bring in and what to leave out
- PowerPoint – how to avoid the pitfalls
- Dressing to impress – what to wear
- Practice roll play sessions
“In a very short space of time the course really deepened my knowledge of building relationships with Major Donors and gave me the confidence to expand this area of my role. I am really looking forward to putting what I learned into practice. It is markedly different from other Major Donor fundraising courses I have attended because it focuses deeply on the relationship building aspect of Major Donor fundraising.” - Vikki Thompson, Head of Fundraising, War Memorials Trust
Course specific extras - putting it into practice:
The course is highly interactive with video analysis and roll plays used throughout. It also gets delegates developing their own individual presentation cheat sheets to take away and continue practicing.
This training will prepare you to take on the challenge of making face-to-face "asks" confidently, professionally and successfully.
About your trainer:
Kim van Niekerkhas worked with the UK’s largest businesses, high net worth individuals, trusts and foundations as a Campaign Manager for the NSPCC’s FULL STOP Campaign. In under three years, Kim coordinated lead gifts and major events in the UK and Russia, to raise over £16 million for the protection of children. She is now passionate about sharing that experience and new knowledge by training and mentoring over 200 fundraisers annually.
Prices: £215 IoF IoF Individual members, £275 non-members
If you require an invoice please ensure you book your place a minimum of two weeks before the start date of your course.
IoF Academy One and Two Day Open Course Booking Terms and Conditions.
Further details and contact information
Telephone: 0207 840 1020