GDPR For Fundraisers (London) - June 2019
Date: Thursday 6th Jun 2019
Venue: Eden Brown
Essential Data Protection for Fundraisers - One day Foundation course
This course is specifically designed for fundraisers. It will guide and inform the attendee by explaining all of the lawful options the legislation allows. This course will ensure any organisation can maximise the income from their fundraising initiatives.
A great deal has happened since the 25th May 2018 deadline for the GDPR. This course specifically for charitable organisations will take the attendee through the essentials of lawful data processing. A full day of interaction, discussion and case studies designed to help organisations understand their obligation when they fundraise. The course will help clarify what can be achieved to maximise income when communicating with donors.
- A refresh on the current position with the GDPR, The DP Act 2018 and the PECR.
- What’s happened since 25th May?
- An update and a full explanation of the three core areas of the GDPR (conditions, principles, rights);
- The six conditions for processing data (three important conditions discussed in detail);
- Consent – Do I have consent to fundraise or not? Should I go Opt-in only? Case studies examined.
- What are my alternatives and what will happen in the future? Case studies of charities not using consent.
- Selling products and services such as organising events or retailing and your contractual obligations in detail.
- Contract law, what I should know and how it overlaps with data protection laws
- Delivering services to beneficiaries – how to lawfully process data and uphold rights including a discussion on safeguarding and the duty of care obligations.
- The Principles of Data Protection
- Fair and Lawful – The accountability principle, privacy notices and what we should say
- Purpose-driven – What is your purpose?
- Keeping the processing of data to a minimum
- How to keep data accurate
- How long should I keep data? Do I really need to delete it?
- Security, your staff and how to protect your organisation
COFFEE BREAK – 11.30am (15 mins)
- The Subject rights (Three areas of concern);
- Subject Access – How to recognise and deal with SARs
- Supporter rights – How to deal with supporters and their donations of all types from one-off donations to legacy and events.
- Volunteers and their rights – How to uphold the rights of those that volunteer for your organisation
- The right to be forgotten – How do I forget someone and do I really need to?
LUNCH – 1pm (45 mins)
- Understanding how Data Protection may impact on your organisation. Real life case studies and statistics discussed and unravelled. Predicting where your breach will happen.
- Case Study section one
- Data breaches – How they happen and where the highest risk areas are for a charity
- Remedies and solutions to safeguard your organisation
- Managing data breaches and when and how to report to the ICO
- The Bible Society data breach and other examples – lessons to be learnt.
COFFEE – 2.30pm (15 mins)
- Case study section two - Managing the risk of processing data – How and why complete a Data Privacy Impact Assessment (DPIA) including;
- What is the purpose of a DPIA and when to undertake one.
- What to include in a DPIA and how to develop an effective template
- Who should lead the DPIA in a charity?
- Understanding the outcome
- Measuring risk for the future and an implementation guide
CLOSE – 4.30pm.
Takeaway pack includes; Guidance to the GDPR, the PECR and the Data Protection Act 2018. Case study notes.
Course leader: Pasquale Lionetti
Please note we are unable to offer payment by invoice any more. You can claim back fees from your employer, or they may be able to book your place for you on Eventbrite.
Sponsored by Eden Brown
As one of the first specialist Third Sector recruiters in London, Eden Brown have been supporting Fundraisers and have worked in partnership with charities and not for profit clients for over 25 years. We are really proud to play a part in such a special sector and feel passionate about the contribution we make to our candidates careers and to the growth and development of our clients.
Over the years we have evolved into one of the leading recruitment specialists in the sector, our charities team has grown throughout the UK and we now have dedicated regional consultants in Yorkshire, North West and the Midlands. We recruit across all income streams, from officer level up to senior appointments and have four specialist consultants in our London office who support income generation based roles, both temporary and permanent.
If you are a large charity and would like to provide the course for more than seven employees, we can come to your offices to provide training. Contact us for more details.
Fees for places booked more than 21 days before the event will be payable if the delegate attends or not, and places booked within 21 days of the event are not refundable under any circumstances.
Further details and contact information