*LIVE VIRTUAL COURSE* Influencing and Negotiating Skills (9-Oct-20)
Date: Friday 9th Oct 2020
09:15 - Login and test equipment
09:30 - Course start
16:00 - Course end
Effective fundraisers need to be able to influence and negotiate effectively, whether it be with external decision makers and supporters or internal colleagues. Fundraisers often find themselves needing to persuade a busy person to do something important, whether it be to agree to a meeting, make a donation, influencing trustees and so on.
With this type of communication comes many challenges, ranging from a lack of response from the stakeholder through to a low level of understanding as to why the request is being made. This can understandably lead to the influencer feeling frustrated and disempowered. It also makes it more difficult to get the job done.
It can be even more challenges to influence and negotiate effectively when not face to face. This course will uncover the secrets to being persuasive over the phone and through written communication too.
This course is deeply thought-provoking, experiential and interactive.
Here are some of the key questions this course will help you find answers to:
- How can I broaden my approach to influencing? What other tools can have in my ‘toolkit’?
- How do I say ‘no’ in a way that is authentic to me and does not damage the relationship?
- How do I manage objections?
- How can I boost my confidence when dealing with senior people?
- How do I identify and overcome the barriers stopping my stakeholder from doing what I need them to do?
- How can I maximise the likelihood that a stakeholder will respond to me?
- What beliefs may be holding me back from influencing effectively?
- How do I influence someone when I can only communicate via email, phone or video conferencing?
- How can I build rapport and be persuasive?
- How can I be clearer in my messaging and request?
- What do I do when I’ve tried everything and cannot see a way forward?
What's covered in this course:
· The importance of understanding and appreciating other people's worlds when being persuasive, and how to do this
· Building rapport – including body language/ communication over the phone and video conferencing
· How to overcome objections
· Ways of saying ‘no’ and negotiating alternative solutions
· How to make a 'big ask' of someone
· Ways to increase your confidence and be resilient in the face of challenge
IoF Individual Member £315
Non-Individual Member £375
If you require an invoice please ensure you book your place a minimum of two weeks before the start date of your course.
IoF Academy One and Two Day Open Course Booking Terms and Conditions.
About your trainer
Charly White is an experienced trainer, facilitator, and leadership coach. Her background is in fundraising, specialising in Major and Mid-Value Giving. She has worked with some of the UK's leading philanthropists, building relationships, and influencing them to give big gifts. For over 15 years she raised significant funds for the NSPCC, The National Trust and Mary Potter Hospice in Wellington, New Zealand.
In 2016 Charly qualified as a leadership and personal coach, gaining a Post-Graduate Certificate from the University of Chester. She has coached over 500 not-for-profit sector leaders and emerging leaders, helping them to make a positive step change in their personal and professional development.
Through her company, Vivid Leadership Ltd, Charly provides coaching and training to leaders and teams, helping her clients to succeed in demanding roles whilst maintaining a healthy balance. She is a regular trainer for the Institute of Fundraising and Bright Spot Fundraising.
The techy bit
The course is being delivered via the online platform zoom. To enable you to interact with your tutor and your class you will need to have access to a microphone (or access to a landline phone) and ideally have a working video link via a camera. To test compatibility with your system, you can join a test meeting via this link https://zoom.us/test
The Institute of Fundraising (IoF) of Charter House, 13-15 Carteret Street, London SW1H 9DJ is the Controller.
We are working with Zoom (processor) to enable us to deliver webinars and online learning. To access the course, you will need to register with Zoom, giving your name and email address. This personal data will be collected by Zoom and stored under the US Privacy Shield outside of the EEA.
You will also be able to manage cookies preferences.
For more information on how Zoom use and protect your data see:
The Institute of Fundraising will use the information you provide to monitor delegate attendance and may contact you by email for feedback about the webinar/online learning.
When you sign up to an IoF one or two-day short course, we use the information you provide in the following ways:
- To administrate attendance to the course
- To gain follow-up feedback from you about the course you have attended – this will be sent by email after the course has taken place
- For analysis and research to help us improve our services and, event management and to report on IoF short courses
- To inform you about future short courses and IoF events which we believe will be of interest to you – you can object to this processing at any time
- To keep a record of the courses you have attended with the IoF
- To process your payment
We will provide trainers with your name, organisation and job title to enable them to tailor the course and manage attendance.
Relying on legitimate interests, we will keep your membership number (if applicable), first name, last name, job title, organisation and contact email address and details of the course title(s) and date(s) you attended for six years after your last interaction with the IoF. This is so that we can provide you with confirmation of the courses you have undertaken and to help us:
- Review the popularity of our courses
- Improve our services
- For budgeting and financial review.
Further details and contact information
IoF Academy team