*LIVE VIRTUAL COURSE* - Masterclass: How to write Fundraising Copy that really Engages and Persuades (Intermediate/advanced) (25-Aug-20)
Date: Tuesday 25th Aug 2020
09:45 - Login and test equipment
10:00 - Course start
16:30 - Course end
Take your copywriting skills to the next level Whether you write copy for fundraising letters, brochures, emails, web, or social, this online Copywriting for Fundraising Masterclass will boost your capability, confidence and results.
You’ll join a virtual classroom of fellow fundraisers for an inspiring day packed with fresh ideas and expert insights and advanced methodologies. You’ll review more than 100 real-life copy examples from major charities as you discover which copywriting techniques work best and which rarely work at all.
In just one fascinating day you’ll learn how to plan and write fundraising copy that gets noticed, gets read and gets results. And you’ll learn how to review and critique other people’s copy in a way that’s insightful, meaningful and constructive.
Who should attend?
This one-day online course is designed for those who already have some experience of writing, briefing or reviewing fundraising copy and are looking take their understanding and skills to the next level.
Benefits for you and your organisation
You will leave the course with a thorough understanding of best-practice copywriting techniques and methodologies. You’ll gain expert insights into how people think, how they read, and how they react to what you write. This course will change the way you approach writing fundraising copy for good. The knowledge and skills you gain in just one day will deliver immediate, valuable and lasting benefits for your organisation, your cause and your career.
“Thanks again for a fantastic day. I can honestly say it's the best copywriting course I've ever attended and possibly the best course full stop. Both practical and inspiring." Jenny Liddiard, Octavia Foundation
Copywriting Masterclass: essential principles and expert insights
· Understanding the science behind how people read and react to your copy
· How to apply social psychology and emotional triggers to motivate more people to respond
· Sad stories, statistics and scale: what works best, when and why
· Understanding the persuasion methods that are most effective in fundraising
· Long copy or short copy: what works best, when and why?
· Why personalisation is not all about customer insight and data
· The importance of adopting the right tone and language
· Perfect grammar and punctuation: friend or foe?
· Using “Power” words and avoiding “Spoiler” words
· Valuable tips that boost response and outcomes
· Common recipes for disaster and how to avoid them all
How to adapt your copy for each primary medium
Direct response marketing and advertising
· The total uniqueness of the fundraising letter
· Why 90% of letters and door-drops hit the bin within five seconds
· Where to put the “ask” in your fundraising letters
· 10 ways to write compelling fundraising headlines
· The last thing you should put into a fundraising letter
Lift pieces, brochures and leaflets
· How to create interest and improve readership
· How to combine copy with graphics and images to boost results
· Understanding the power of images, sub-heads and captions
Email and websites
· The critical difference between online and offline copy
· How to adapt your copy to work on the web
· How to write email subject lines that get opened and copy that gets read
· How to write short-form content for social media
· Reviewing and critiquing your own and other people’s copy
By the end of the course you will have gained:
At the end of one fascinating and informative day you will have gained a practical understanding of the key copywriting principles and techniques used within fundraising and how to apply them to achieve improved results. You’ll leave this course with a head full of fresh ideas and approaches that you can apply the next day within your workplace to achieve better outcomes from every piece of fundraising copy you write.
The online learning classroom experience
The IoF's live virtual training is delivered by trainers who are leading experts in their chosen discipline. Each virtual course has been especially designed to deliver a rich virtual classroom learning experience. Your course will feature:
· Zoom platform learning environment
· Interactive classroom engagement
· Group discussions and exercises
· Real-life case studies and examples
· Ample Q&A opportunities throughout the sessions
£315 IoF Individual members
£375 IoF non- individual members
If you require an invoice please ensure you book your place a minimum of two weeks before the start date of your course.
IoF Academy One and Two Day Open Course Booking Terms and Conditions
About your tutor:
Paul Chuter FIDM is one of the UK’s leading communications practitioners. Since 1991, he has provided communications advice and copywriting to leading international business enterprises, not-for-profit organisations, government agencies, professional bodies and academic institutions. Paul has successfully trained staff from more than 300 UK charity sector organisations in effective copywriting techniques. His training is very ‘real-world’ and combines attitudinal approaches, practical techniques and best-practice methodologies that can be applied immediately in the workplace to achieve impressive results.
The techy bit
The course is being delivered via the online platform zoom. To enable you to interact with your tutor and your class you will need to have access to a microphone (or access to a landline phone) and ideally have a working video link via a camera. To test compatibility with your system, you can join a test meeting via this link https://zoom.us/test
The Institute of Fundraising (IoF) of Charter House, 13-15 Carteret Street, London SW1H 9DJ is the Controller.
We are working with Zoom (processor) to enable us to deliver webinars and online learning. To access the course, you will need to register with Zoom, giving your name and email address. This personal data will be collected by Zoom and stored under the US Privacy Shield outside of the EEA.
You will also be able to manage cookies preferences.
For more information on how Zoom use and protect your data see:
The Institute of Fundraising will use the information you provide to monitor delegate attendance and may contact you by email for feedback about the webinar/online learning.
When you sign up to an IoF one or two-day short course, we use the information you provide in the following ways:
- To administrate attendance to the course
- To gain follow-up feedback from you about the course you have attended – this will be sent by email after the course has taken place
- For analysis and research to help us improve our services and, event management and to report on IoF short courses
- To inform you about future short courses and IoF events which we believe will be of interest to you – you can object to this processing at any time
- To keep a record of the courses you have attended with the IoF
- To process your payment
We will provide trainers with your name, organisation and job title to enable them to tailor the course and manage attendance.
Relying on legitimate interests, we will keep your membership number (if applicable), first name, last name, job title, organisation and contact email address and details of the course title(s) and date(s) you attended for six years after your last interaction with the IoF. This is so that we can provide you with confirmation of the courses you have undertaken and to help us:
- Review the popularity of our courses
- Improve our services
- For budgeting and financial review.
Further details and contact information
IoF Academy team