*LIVE VIRTUAL COURSE* - Storytelling Masterclass for Fundraising Copywriters, Marketers and Leaders (23-Sep-20)
Date: Wednesday 23rd Sep 2020
09:45 Login and test equipment
10:00 Course start
15:30 Course finish
Storytelling is both an ancient art and an up-to-the-moment engagement and persuasion technique. Whether you want to engage and convince supporters, or inspire and motivate your staff, storytelling is an extremely powerful and effective way to achieve your goals.
This practical and applied online course explores the essential components, narrative stages and characters that create a persuasive story. It will show you how to apply proven techniques such as audience-centricity, emotional drivers and internal representation to great effect.
You’ll learn how you can use storytelling to make your fundraising appeals, campaigns and case studies more interesting and inspiring for your audience. You’ll understand what you need to do to create a great organisational brand story, and how to apply storytelling at managerial and leadership level to achieve positive changes in your people’s attitudes and behaviours.
Who should attend?
The course will be ideal for any fundraising, marketing, or donor engagement professional who is responsible for garnering support, donations or cooperation. It would also be highly beneficial to departmental leaders, marketers and copywriters.
In just one inspiring and informative day you will learn:
· How stories have been used historically to engage, educate and persuade
· What makes storytelling such a powerful and persuasive method of communication?
· How storytelling wins the hearts and minds of supporters
· The key components that make a story engaging, compelling and persuasive
· Why stories about failure and loss can sometimes be more effective than success stories
The role of Storytelling in fundraising
· When and how storytelling can be used to promote your appeals, mission, organisation and needs
· Why storytelling works where conventional fundraising narratives often fail
· How big and small brands in every sector have used Storytelling to build loyalty, commitment and value
· What is an ‘organising idea’ and how do you create a great brand story?
· How to build brand awareness and affiliation based upon shared beliefs
How to create stories people will want to tell and hear
· How to plan and plot your story so it is both engaging and persuasive
· The role of the central character and how to choose the right one for your purposes
· The fundamental components every story, presentation or copy should include
· How to start and end your story so it leads your audience to your intended conclusion
Expert Storytelling tips that improve outcomes and results
· The value of emotional drivers in marketing and storytelling, and how to apply them
· How to use internal representation as an engaging storytelling device
· Expert narrative techniques that make your story interesting, believable and memorable
· What’s your story? Your chance to create your own personal or professional story
· Group review and discussion of selected delegate stories
The online learning classroom experience
The IoF online training is delivered by tutors who leading experts in their chosen discipline. Each online course has been especially designed to deliver a rich virtual classroom learning experience. Your online course will feature:
· Zoom platform learning environment
· Interactive classroom engagement
· Group discussions and exercises
· Real-life case studies and examples
· Ample Q&A opportunities throughout the sessions
The techy bit
The course is being delivered via the online platform zoom. To enable you to interact with your tutor and your class you will need to have access to a microphone (or access to a landline phone) and ideally have a working video link via a camera. To test compatibility with your system, you can join a test meeting via this link https://zoom.us/test
Meet your trainer:
Paul Chuter F IDM is one of the UK’s leading communications practitioners. Since 1991, he has provided communications advice and copywriting to leading international business enterprises, not-for-profit organisations, government agencies, professional bodies and academic institutions. Paul has successfully trained staff from more than 300 UK charity sector organisations in effective copywriting techniques. His training is very ‘real-world’ and combines attitudinal approaches, practical techniques and best-practice methodologies that can be applied immediately in the workplace to achieve impressive results.
IoF Individual Member £315
Non-individual Member £375
If you require an invoice please ensure you book your place a minimum of two weeks before the start date of your course.
IoF Academy One and Two Day Open Course Booking Terms and Conditions.
The Institute of Fundraising (IoF) of Charter House, 13-15 Carteret Street, London SW1H 9DJ is the Controller.
We are working with Zoom (processor) to enable us to deliver webinars and online learning. To access the course, you will need to register with Zoom, giving your name and email address. This personal data will be collected by Zoom and stored under the US Privacy Shield outside of the EEA.
You will also be able to manage cookies preferences.
For more information on how Zoom use and protect your data see:
The Institute of Fundraising will use the information you provide to monitor delegate attendance and may contact you by email for feedback about the webinar/online learning.
When you sign up to an IoF one or two-day short course, we use the information you provide in the following ways:
- To administrate attendance to the course
- To gain follow-up feedback from you about the course you have attended – this will be sent by email after the course has taken place
- For analysis and research to help us improve our services and, event management and to report on IoF short courses
- To inform you about future short courses and IoF events which we believe will be of interest to you – you can object to this processing at any time
- To keep a record of the courses you have attended with the IoF
- To process your payment
We will provide trainers with your name, organisation and job title to enable them to tailor the course and manage attendance.
Relying on legitimate interests, we will keep your membership number (if applicable), first name, last name, job title, organisation and contact email address and details of the course title(s) and date(s) you attended for six years after your last interaction with the IoF. This is so that we can provide you with confirmation of the courses you have undertaken and to help us:
- Review the popularity of our courses
- Improve our services
- For budgeting and financial review.
Further details and contact information
IoF Academy team