*FULLY BOOKED* Masterclass - How to Write Fundraising Copy That Really Engages and Persuades (Intermediate/Advanced) (26-Apr-19)
Date: Friday 26th Apr 2019
Time: 09:15 Coffee and registration
09:30 Course start
17:00 Course finish
Venue: IoF Office
Looking to take your copy skills to the next level? Whether you write fundraising letters, door-drops, brochures or for your website(s), this all-new copywriting Masterclass will boost your capability, confidence and results. In just one inspiring day, you will gain the ideas, knowledge and skills you need to write fundraising copy that generates more impressive and profitable results.
*FULLY BOOKED* View alternative dates
Packed with great tips, valuable insights and industry wisdom, this highly practical course will explore and explain exactly what you need to do to get people to read and respond to what you write.
You will learn how to plan, structure and write engaging, persuasive and productive copy – and you learn how to review and critique other people’s copy in a way that is both meaningful and constructive. By applying what you learn your copy will generate improved results!
Who should attend?
This one day course is designed for those who already have some experience of writing fundraising copy but who are looking take their skills to the next level. Looking at the different mediums available this Masterclass will give you insight, improved capabilities and a boost in confidence to enable you to write copy that will engage your audiences and improve your results.
Benefits for you and your organisation
You will leave the course with a thorough understanding of what works best and what rarely works at all. You will gain insights into how people think and how they react to what you write. This course will change the way you approach writing fundraising copy for good. The knowledge, insights and skills you learn in just one fascinating day will deliver valuable and lasting benefits for your organisation, your cause and your career.
Thanks again for a fantastic day. I can honestly say it's the best copywriting course I've ever attended and possibly the best course full stop. Both practical and inspiring." Jenny Liddiard, Octavia Foundation
Copywriting Masterclass: essential principles and expert insights
- Understanding the science behind how people read and react to your copy
- Learning to become a “fundraiser behind the keyboard”
- The proven formula that adds up to persuasion
- How to apply social psychology and emotional triggers to motivate more people to respond
- Proven solicitation techniques explored and explained
- Sad stories, statistics and scale: what works best, when and why
- Understanding the persuasion methods that are most effective in fundraising
- Long copy or short copy: what works best, when and why?
- Why personalisation is not all about customer insight and data
- The importance of adopting the right tone and language
- Perfect grammar and punctuation: friend or foe?
- Using “Power” words and avoiding “Spoiler” words
- Valuable tips that boost response and outcomes
- 12 recipes for disaster and how to avoid them all
How to structure, write and adapt your copy to suit each primary medium
Direct response marketing and advertising
- The total uniqueness of the fundraising letter
- Why 90% of letters and door-drops hit the bin within five seconds
- Where to put the “ask” in your fundraising letters
- 10 ways to write compelling fundraising headlines
- How to create more effective envelope messages and response devices
- Real-life fundraising letters reviewed and evaluated with lessons learned
- The last thing you should put into a fundraising letter
Lift pieces, brochures and leaflets
- How to blend the telling with the selling
- How to combine copy with graphics and images to boost results
- Understanding the power of images, sub-heads and captions
Email and websites
- How to adapt your copy to suit the digital medium
- How to write compelling email subject lines
By the end of the course you will have gained:
At the end of one fascinating and informative day you will have gained a practical understanding of the key principles and techniques used within fundraising and how to apply them to help you achieve improved results. You will understand the way people read and react to fundraising copy and know how to use this to your advantage to engage and persuade. You will leave this course with a head full of fresh ideas and approaches that you can apply immediately within the workplace so that you achieve more with every piece of fundraising copy you write.
As part of your learning experience you are invited to send in a sample of your own fundraising copy in advance of the course. Your tutor will then review it with you in open class, providing constructive advice and recommendations that you can apply immediately to improve results.
To take advantage of this offer please email one sample* of your copy to the IoF Academy team at email@example.com by 17:00 Friday 19th April 2019 with ‘Sample copy for Masterclass 26th April 2019' in the subject line.
*Please note your sample copy should be no longer than 1 or 2 sides of A4.
About your tutor:
Paul Chuter FIDM is one of the UK’s leading communications practitioners. Since 1991, he has provided communications advice and copywriting to leading international business enterprises, not-for-profit organisations, government agencies, professional bodies and academic institutions. Paul has successfully trained staff from more than 100 UK charity sector organisations in effective copywriting techniques. His training is very ‘real-world’ and combines attitudinal approaches, practical techniques and best-practice methodologies that can be applied immediately in the workplace to achieve impressive results.
£365 IoF Individual members
£425 non-IoF Individual members
If you require an invoice please ensure you book your place a minimum of two weeks before the start date of your course.
IoF Academy One and Two Day Open Course Booking Terms and Conditions.
The Institute of Fundraising (IoF) of Charter House, 13-15 Carteret Street, London SW1H 9DJ is the Controller.
When you sign up to an IoF one or two-day short course, we use the information you provide in the following ways:
- To administrate attendance to the course
- To gain follow-up feedback from you about the course you have attended – this will be sent by email after the course has taken place
- For analysis and research to help us improve our services and, event management and to report on IoF short courses
- To inform you about future short courses and IoF events which we believe will be of interest to you – you can object to this processing at any time
- To keep a record of the courses you have attended with the IoF
- To process your payment
We will provide trainers with your name, organisation and job title to enable them to tailor the course and manage attendance.
Relying on legitimate interests, we will keep your membership number (if applicable), first name, last name, job title, organisation and contact email address and details of the course title(s) and date(s) you attended for six years after your last interaction with the IoF. This is so that we can provide you with confirmation of the courses you have undertaken and to help us:
- Review the popularity of our courses
- Improve our services
- For budgeting and financial review.
Further details and contact information
Telephone: 0207 840 1020