What we are doing to help make our upcoming conferences more sustainable
There is no question that climate change is one of the biggest issues facing our world today. Here at the Institute of Fundraising we are aware that the severity of this problem is perhaps felt even more acutely amongst our community and the sector we work in.
Here is what we are doing to help achieve sustainability at our events and how you can help us achieve this.
- Providing a largely vegetarian menu, using seasonal produce
- Eliminating single-use plastics at venues that we use
- No paper evaluation forms – these are completed online
- Transitioning to eliminating the printed conference delegate handbook – this will now solely be available on our mobile app from our December 2019 conferences
- Recycled plastic badges are used and we collect these at the end of each event to re-use at future events. We use recycled card for the badge inserts and they are recycled after the event
- Ensure that there are lots of conveniently located recycle bins
- The venue is well located for public transport
- Tea, coffee, juice and fruit served are fair trade
- Water provided in jugs rather than bottles
- The venue used has a policy of purchasing locally sourced food
- Any printed materials are produced on recycled paper and printed double sided
- Websites, email and digital platforms used to promote the event
- Adjust lighting, heating and air con to maintain comfort and avoid energy waste
- Only give out writing materials as needed
We ask that our exhibitors
- Use materials for their exhibition space and signage that are up-cycled, recycled and recyclable materials.
- Any printed materials handed out are produced on recycled paper and printed double sided
We would like to encourage our delegates to
- Download our mobile app
- Bring your own reusable water bottle
- Walk, use bicycles and public transport
- Hand in your badge at the end of the event so that we can reuse and recycle
- Bring your own writing materials
This is a policy to provide a framework for IoF events and conferences put on by IoF central office. It aims to set out where and how we aim to reduce the environmental impact of our events where possible. We will also encourage and support IoF groups who put on events and conferences around the UK to take forward actions and initiatives where they can in line with this framework.