Contracts and Agreements
Making sure the correct contracts are in place is of utmost importance. In addition to legal requirements, contracts help to clarify the expectations of each party as well as minimising the potential for future disputes.
It is particularly important to note that any relationship between a charity and a professional fundraiser or a commercial supplier must be governed by a written contract (Part II, Charities Acts 1992, 1993).
Code of Fundraising Practice and Guidance
The following sections of the Code and accompanying guidance may be especially helpful when determining contracts:
- Corporate Partnerships section of the Code
- Charities Working with Business guidance
- Working with Third Parties section of the Code
- Best Practice for Fundraising Contracts guidance
- Best Practice for Fundraising Consultants guidance
Charities and voluntary organisations should be aware that under the Charities Act 2006, there are additional legal requirements for professional fundraisers and commercial participators in terms of the statements they are required to make when fundraising (solicitation statements).